Thursday, July 5, 2007

An Experiment

This week I've been running a bit of an experiment on myself. As I've explained, for the past three weeks I've been keeping to a sleep schedule of waking at 4:30 AM and going to sleep at 9:00 PM. My old routine was to have no routine, which meant really late some nights and others really early. So far, keeping this routine has been great. I've had plenty of energy during the day, and just enough time to get done anything I need to in the evenings. Well almost. I've been finding it a little compact of a life, since I usually don't arrive home until about 7:00 PM at the earliest, and so by the time I had cleaned up and had something to eat I would have about an hour to myself.

So this week I've pushed my bedtime to 10:00 PM. See, I've found that getting 7.5 hours of sleep a night is sustainable but the question is, is 6.5? The results so far: promising. This week the weather has been rather cool, which makes it hard to compare my energy levels to previous weeks when the weather has been particularly warm. I don't do so well in the heat; I sorta loose a few of the middle gears so that I'm only able to operate sluggishly or in frenzy.

In any case, I've felt fine when we're working and only noticeably more tired in the corners minutes of the day -- when we're walking tools back to the shed, sitting after lunch, or if I lay down when I come home.

I figure next week I'll try going back to my previous routine of a 9 PM bedtime and see happens. I'm sure you're all looking forward to the results!

No comments: