Friday, May 4, 2007

Make Work

Today was a bit of a day of random jobs. The farmers are all waiting on the edge of their boots for the fields to dry enough so that we can out there and seed and plant. Tomorrow is supposed to be sunny and dry so I think we'll do it then.

That reminds me, we begin working Saturday mornings from now on. We're still only working 8am to 6pm, at least for another week.

Today:
  • Jarrod and I put a rail on the cart to stop the boxes of veggies from sliding off if the cart is tipped too high.
  • We discovered that the forks we had built for the bicycle wheels were too flimsy, so we scrapped them for an entire wheel and axle assembly we dragged out of the scrap heap.
  • Lunch. I dug out some wild leeks from the sugar bush and made a spinach salad with them. It was rather basic. I guess I had hoped for more 'cause on their own the leeks are quite sweet, oniony, and also have a strong table pepper taste.
  • Amanda and I weeded the unheated portion of the green house, and then strung rope to hold up the tomato trellising.
  • Ali and I removed the piles of rock from our earlier rocking picking sessions (totally not mundane) into the bucket of the tractor which Leslie drove.
  • Jeff and Jarrod set up the basic framework for the irrigation system.
  • Ali, Jeff, Leslie and I picked some of last year's kale and collards that are regrowing. Just for eating at home.

No comments: