Saturday, April 21, 2007

Potting Soil Mix and Compost Tea

I've done a bit of assembling the soil mix that we use to grow the seedlings in. The secret recipe is this:

The compost is beautiful stuff that is made from the cow and pig manure plus the bedding used for the animals on the farm. I believe it's 'aged' for a year before being used. Making compost for the farm from the farm is one of the principles of biodynamic agriculture to which Whole Circle farm ascribes.

From the recipe you might suspect the mix to be rather dense, but it ain't.

As I've mentioned in previous posts, the seedlings are given regular boosts of compost tea to keep up the nutrients in the soil. Compost tea, well, it's essentially what you'd expect from the name. We simply take a hessian* bag filled with a shovel full of compost and steep it in a bucket of water for a day. We use a small fish tank bubbler to oxygenate the water so that aerobic bacteria grow rather than the water putrefying with anaerobic bacteria. The resulting mixture is supposedly full of dissolved nutrients from the compost and helpful bacteria. The seedlings get a shot of this once a week.

*I just realised this probably isn't a north american term, but I'm not sure what the proper term is. The bag I'm referring to is the sort you might find potatoes in if you bought them in bulk. I think they're made from Jute.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I prefer to use Jacobians myself, but I suppose a Hessian will do in a pinch.

V

FarmerPauly said...

Victor? Is that you?? Who else...

So Jon, thanks for these details. Compost tea is pretty simple, hey? That was one Everdale intern's personal project last year, but she wasn't allowed to work on it because other things took priority. It's a shame, because it sounds so darn easy, and I'll bet it's really helpful.

Vermiculite. I didn't even know it was a mined mineral; I'd always assumed it was a petroleum product. But isn't there an ecological alternative? Vermiculite is mined, and is thus environmentally questionable. Peat moss is non-renewable and its use is destroying wetland habitats. Coconut coir comes from halfway around the world (India and Sri Lanka).

I'm annoyed by this right now because it's just such a spongelike ingredient that my potting soil has been lacking in. However, I've made progress today and I'll soon be posting about it to Garden.

Still, don't you think the dependence on this key ingredient is a significant stumbling block to agricultural sustainability?

Victor said...

Yeah.

Victor